Total Pageviews

Monday, November 28, 2011

Fave Documentaries

So recently I was perusing through the selection of films on Netflix, many that I have never seen, and I came across "The Devil And Daniel Johnston", a documentary on one Daniel Johnston.  Who, you may be asking.  I asked the same question.  Here's the synopsis on Netflix that caught my interest: "This dizzying, heartbreaking documentary introduces the world to Daniel Johnston - a reclusive musical genius now in the throes of manic depression".  Musical genius?  Manic depression?  Dizzying?  How can one resist??  Anyways, I watched it, I liked it.  Daniel Johnston is just a weird dude that began writing and recording songs in his parents' basement as a teenager.  He can't sing (a drowning cat being punched in the gut would probably sound better) but he could certainly put words together in a poetic and melodic way.  He became a bit of an underground icon in New York, inspiring a great deal of bands including Sonic Youth and Nirvana.  He even made it onto an MTV special in the early days of the network.  Turns out Daniel was suffering from some mental problems and severe depression.  He wanted to be famous so badly that everything else fell by the wayside.  The film was incredibly interesting and it got me thinking about other documentaries I've seen that have not only been informative, but entertaining as well.  What makes a good documentary?  I think it's different for everybody, but for me, I like to be introduced to topics or people, like Daniel Johnston, that I would never have thought of before.  Give me some data, make it interesting and I'll remember it forever.  In that vein, here are some docs that I've seen that still leave an impression on me...and I suggest y'all have a look...'cause they're good!

Baseball (A Ken Burns Film) - 1994
How can I not start off with this one?  If you know me, you know I am always thinking about baseball.  (Sometimes movies, sometimes hockey, sometimes nude women, but mostly baseball).  I remember the anticipation of this documentary premiering on TV and it still remains one of my favourite ways to spend 20 hours.  Yes, 20 hours!!!  Baseball has been around for over a hundred and fifty years, so there was lots to cover.  Ken Burns meticulously provides info, articles, photos, video, interviews from the beginnings of the game to the present day.  Even though I know a lot about the history of the game and it's greatest moments, there was plenty of information I didn't have.  I have the complete DVD set of this doc, including a recently updated 10th Inning episode. and I still go back to it again and again.  Just freakin' love it!

Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage - 2010
I was never a huge fan of Rush.  I liked their popular songs, the ones played on the radio that is, but I don't own any of their albums.  I became a much bigger fan of the band after watching this documentary, directed by Sam Dunn and Scot McFadyen.  Like any good doc we learn of the band from their very early beginnings in my hometown of Toronto, to their first record deal, to their first big hit, right up to the present day.  There are trials and tribulations along the way (the firing of their first drummer, the tragedy of their second drummer, the horrible synthesizers of the 1980's), but through it all the band endures and inspires.  It's great to hear from other musicians that claim to have have picked up a guitar or drumsticks because they heard "Spirit Of Radio" or "Working Man".  Great fun with great music.

The King Of Kong: A Fistful Of Quarters - 2007
Is it at all possible to find a movie about a Donkey Kong tournament interesting?  Holy man, YES!  I couldn't believe how engaged I was watching this doc.  Steve Wiebe is a man who believes he can beat the best of the best at the next tournament.  He has already set the Donkey Kong record for accumulating the most points, although the officials may not think so.  He is after the High Prince of all gaming, Billy Mitchell, a man that needs to be seen to be believed.  He's kinda like the Chuck Norris of 1980's video games.  This little documentary has more thrills and chills than 90% of the big Hollywood movies that come out every year.  I promise you, you do not have to be interested in video games at all to enjoy this film.  So great!

The Thin Blue Line - 1988
Director Errol Morris has made some very interesting documentaries, "The Fog Of War", "Standard Operating Procedure", "Mr. Death".  None of his award-winning works have come close to "The Thin Blue Line".  This doc about a botched murder trial and investigation in Texas actually got the case re-opened and the man charged and convicted walked out of prison a free man!  What?!?!?  Can movies really change the world?  Apparently so.  Morris talks to all the people involved in the case of a couple of drifters that crossed paths, one of them being convicted of murdering a police officer.  The police department and the DA's office were under extreme pressure to wrap up this case and, in the process, a lot of evidence was over-looked.  Morris uncovers this evidence and puts together a case that many lawyers would envy.  Very cool and easy to follow...and it set a man FREE!!!

Brother's Keeper - 1992
Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky put together a film that is so emotionally riveting it will stay with you for many years to come.  It has for me.  I still remember watching this doc with my mouth wide open, not quite believing what my eyes were viewing.  The story revolves around the Ward brothers.  They know nothing but farming, literally.  There are four of them, all elderly when we meet them, who all have the book education of seven-year olds.  For decades they have gone about their daily chores, living in squalor, all sleeping together in the same room.  The people in the town they live in leave them alone and just vaguely know what they are all about.  One day, one of the Ward brothers dies in his sleep.  Was it natural causes...or was it murder??  What transpires is so incredible it's hard to describe here in a few words.  But if your heart doesn't break when one of the brothers takes the stand in the trial, you're not human!

Roger & Me - 1989
I like Michael Moore.  I know, a lot of people don't.  They think he's too political, that he only shows one side of the story, that he makes his point and doesn't try to defend it.  I don't see that.  I see a man that believes in something and wants to get some facts out...maybe not all of the facts, but enough to get you thinking.  I've enjoyed all of his films, but it's his first documentary that I remember the most.  In his search to have a conversation with GM CEO Roger Smith, Moore meets some of the strange and interesting people in Flint, Michigan that are directly affected by GM shutting down manufacturing plants in their town.  From the man that has to throw people out of their homes for not being able to pay their bills, to the crazy rabbit lady just trying to make a buck, Moore sheds light onto a subject that most of us knew nothing about.  What happens to 30,000 people when they lose their jobs?  Touching and funny, this is still Moore's best effort for me.

March Of The Penguins - 2005
I knew nothing about penguins before I saw this documentary, and, quite frankly, cared even less.  I now think that these funny little birds are the most remarkable creatures on the planet!  We follow the Emperor penguins of Antarctica as they make their annual pilgrimage to the most desolate region on Earth in order to mate.  Their journey is arduous to say the least, but they do it year after year, and have been doing it for thousands of years.  Even more interesting than this remarkable journey is the personalities of these creatures captured by the filmmakers.  I am not ashamed to say I laughed out loud while watching this film, as well as cried my eyes out.  To me, this is what great documentary filmmaking is all about.  Take a subject that meant absolutely nothing to me and make me care so much about that subject less than two hours later.




There are many other documentaries that should be viewed at least once, like:
An Inconvenient Truth - 2006
Crumb - 1994
Dear Zachary: A Letter To A Son About His Father - 2008
Hearts Of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse - 1991
Man On Wire - 2008
Metal: A Headbanger's Journey - 2005
Overnight - 2003
The Kid Stays In The Picture - 2002
...and a whole lot more, but start with these and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment