Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sorry Roy


So I heard yesterday from a friend of mine that the Blue Jays/Phillies series at the end of June had been cancelled, shifted to Philadelphia. I almost cried, after some furious stomping around. The stupid G-20 Summit was the cause, too many security issues. For Christ's Sake!!!!
If you know me at all, you know that I'm a HUGE baseball fan. I love everything about the game. I'll watch it, play it, read about it, dream about it. I was saddened when my beloved Toronto Blue Jays traded away their ace pitcher, and perhaps the best pitcher in baseball, Roy Halladay to the Philadelphia Phillies. I realized that Roy couldn't stay with a team that was yet again "re-building". He served 12 great years as our number one player and I think I speak for Blue Jays fans everywhere that we wish him nothing but the best on a team that could conceivably win the World Series. My sadness turned to utter joy when I saw the Blue Jays schedule for the 2010 season...the Phillies were going to play a three game series at the Rogers Centre. WooHoo!!! Halladay would no doubt pitch in one of those games, even if the team had to break the rotation. As soon as tickets went on sale I spent nearly $400 on tickets for the Saturday and Sunday games (I was hedging my bets that Halladay would start one of those games). I was so happy that the Toronto fans could give Halladay the ovation and the thank you he deserved, and I wanted to be a part of it.
Now this. According to Bud Selig and Paul Beeston, the decision to have the games played in Philadelphia would be in the best interest of everyone involved, including the fans. FUCK THAT!!! Sure, I'll get a full refund for my tickets, but I won't get to see the one game I wanted to this year. The Jays, who have been struggling to get even 10,000 fans to game this year, would have guaranteed themselves at least 100,000 tickets sold for that three game series. I can't say I blame the decision on anyone in baseball. My friends and I had speculated that this may happen. I now hate, hate, HATE Stephen Fucking Harper. His insistence in bringing this Summit to Toronto has and will screw up this city for a very long time. Never mind the sheer cost of the damn thing, but it will absolutely cripple the downtown core for weeks. Businesses will shut down, everyone will be on high alert for terrorist activity, nobody is going to want to go anywhere. And why??? So that Toronto can be seen as a major political city in Canada, or the world? We already are!! I know that Canadians think people from Toronto think that they are at the centre of the nation. Well let's face it, we are! We don't need to exploit our city anymore than it already is. I hate you Stephen Harper!!!
Anyway, sorry Roy. You would have received a rousing ovation for sure. You deserve it and I hope you go all the way with the Phillies. Now I have to see about planning a road trip to Philadelphia at the end of June...anybody wanna come?

No comments:

Post a Comment