Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Some Things That Are Pissing Me Off!!


So I read the paper, watch the news, listen to news breaks on the radio and there are a few things that have been making me angry lately. Here are a few of them...
Rogers Cable - The brilliant minds that run this company recently decided to create a whole new sports station to their cable lineup called SportsNet One. In doing so, they have switched upwards of 20 Toronto Blue Jay games to this new network from the other SportsNet channels they have. If you are not a Rogers Cable subscriber, you cannot watch these games. Now, Rogers owns the Blue Jays as we all know. They have complained that the attendance at the games have not been where they want, and I've been to a few games this year where it looked as though there were less than 10,000 fans in the enormous Rogers Centre. Taking away games from people that subscribe to other cable companies is NOT going to drive attendance. In fact, it's very likely to do the opposite. I, for one, will continue to go to Jays games because I support the team. But I have read numerous letters to newspapers where people say they will NEVER go to a Jays game again. I gotta say, I don't blame 'em. If this is some sort of ploy to have people switch their cable companies, it ain't gonna work either. I have nothing subscribed to Rogers, no phone, no TV, no Internet. I can say I will NEVER switch! This is obviously a powerplay to have other cable networks (Bell, Cogico, etc.) to buy the Rogers SportsNet One and put it on their lineup. I sincerely hope they don't. At least I have a choice to switch, but did Rogers ever think of those places in Canada that don't have a choice. Believe it or not, Rogers Cable is not available everywhere. They have alienated all those people, and I hope they all boycott Rogers from here on in.

Stupid Studies - I saw a story on some Canadian news program, I think it was CBC, where a university conducted a study on obesity. Their conclusion was that people in countries that ride bikes or walk to work and other outings often seem to have less obese citizens than those countries that do that kind of stuff less often. REALLY!!! Did we need a study for this??? How much of taxpayer's money was spent on this crap?? Thousands??? MILLIONS??? They could have given me the money and I could have told them that! I always thought I was shedding off the pounds by getting my fat ass in my car and driving around all day. So glad I was told differently. Morons!!

Blockbuster Video - It really makes me crazy when people talk about things they know nothing about. It's OK to have an opinion, but if you're told something else, that seems to make sense, at least consider it. I have been a Store Manager at Blockbuster Video for nearly 8 years. As you all may know, Blockbuster Video is very likely filing for bankruptcy...IN THE STATES! This does not mean all Blockbusters everywhere are going out of business. The fact, FACT, is Blockbuster Canada is the most profitable adjunct of the Blockbuster family, and has been for many years. We made close to $50 million last year, and are expected to make more this year. If and when Blockbuster U.S. goes under, it will be even better for us. We have been lending them money to stop the bleeding for a while now. If they go under, we keep all our profits! Now, the name may be changed, we may be sold, but a company that makes $50 million a year doesn't just close it's doors. The Source operated stores in Canada for over a year without an owner, but someone finally bought them because they make money. Stores that are closing around your area is simply a part of the business. In the salad days of this industry, stores were everywhere, diluting the business. Closing stores only makes sense, bring everyone within a few miles of what used to be 4 stores into one. I'll ask you this...if Blockbuster did go under, where would you get your movies? NetFlix? Only if you've spent more money on your download capabilities and want to wait for your movie to start. On Demand? No special features, no commentaries, and a horrible selection of films. Illegal downloading? This, believe it or not is not as popular as some people have you believe...and you never know what you're gonna get (viruses and such). You, as a movie lover, should support your local Blockbuster, or even local store, 'cause once they're gone, they're gone for good. But I can tell you with 100% certainty, we're NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!! So if you do go into a Blockbuster Video, do not ask "What will you do when you go out of business?". Do not say "You guys won't be around long.". Do not poke the bears...don't be ignorant...rent your movies, say thank you and get the fuck out!!

we do appreciate your business......

No comments:

Post a Comment