Total Pageviews

Friday, November 12, 2010

Past movies....and breaking news!!


Toy Story 3
Starring: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack, Ned Beatty, Don Rickles, Michael Keaton, Wallace Shawn, John Ratzenberger
Directed by Lee Unkrich

What happens to toys when the kids that played with them out-grow them? That is the idea behind Toy Story 3, the much anticipated edition to this multi-million dollar franchise. We all know Andy, the kid who fell in love with Buzz Lightyear and Woody, not to mention Rex, The Potato Heads, Jessie and Hamm. Andy is now in his late teens, on his way to college, and it's been a long time since he's thought about his plastic friends. He must decide which toys he'll keep stuffed in the attic or, God forbid, throw away. Through circumstances only Disney Pixar could come up with, the toys are accidentally donated to a pre-school. There, the toys we all love encounter some very perilous situations. Is there a happy ending, or does Bambi's mother get shot, so to speak? You'll have to watch to find out, but I gotta tell ya, I can't remember being so emotionally involved in a story in a very long time. I laughed (out loud!), I cried (like a pregnant woman!), and I enjoyed every second of this film. There is little doubt that this will be the end of the Toy Story movies, and I'm sooooo very pleased with it's conclusion. If you have kids, there is no reason you shouldn't get this movie....NOW!!!

GRADE: A+

The Girl Who Played With Fire
Starring: Noomi Rapace, Michael Nyqvist, Lena Endre
Directed by Daniel Alfredson

Here is movie number two of the "Girl" series, the first one being "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". This film deals with our leading lady, Lisbeth Salander, trying to track down her father and correct the wrongs that he did to her as a young girl. If you've read the books, and I strongly suggest you do before watching the movies, you'll realize that this is probably the weakest of the three. After saying that, the movie still remains very faithful to the original story. I appreciate that and I rather enjoyed watching the film, more than reading the book. There is a lot more action in this one, and a lot more characters are introduced, sometimes making it difficult to keep track of everything that's happening. Even so, Noomi Rapace is just as strong in her portrayal of the troubled Lisbeth and commands your attention. People watching, and especially those who haven't read the books, may find this chapter a little, well, all over the place. You must know that this is simply a bridge to the finale, one that I look very forward to seeing.

GRADE: B+

I Am Love
Starring: Tilda Swinton, Flavio Parenti, Edoardo Gabbriellini and other Italians...
Directed by Luca Guadagnino

An Italian movie made about the very rich, and the very horny apparently. I'm kidding, there's much more going on here. Tilda Swinton (who knew she spoke Italian??) plays the matriarch of a very prosperous family in Italy. She has everything she wants, but craves more. When she is introduced to a friend of her son's, a talented chef, feelings start to stir. Can she hide her feelings? Will she? What's a woman to do? The story plays out like one of those New Age films from the 50's and 60's, kinda in the Francois Truffaut style, lots of ambient sound and colours that seemingly have nothing to do with the story but create feelings and stir emotions. Yes, there is much melodrama, but I was always interested in Swinton's next move. She is, as always, fantastic! The men smoulder, the women weep and it all comes down to a very intriguing climax.

GRADE: B+

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
Starring: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culkin, Alison Pill, Ellen Wong, Chris Evans, Brandon Routh, Jason Schwartzman
Directed by Edgar Wright

Filmed in Toronto, taking place in Toronto, this has to be one of the most inventive movies I've seen since "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind". Scott Pilgrim is a bassist in a band. He's in his early 20's, has a 17 year old girlfriend, and everything seems to be peachy keen...until he dreams about and then meets Ramona Flowers. She is a mysteriously cool chick that he wants to be with. Thing is, she comes with a bit of baggage. Scott needs to defeat her seven evil exes in order to claim her as his own. Then the fun begins! Filmed like a live action video game, Scott needs to fight each of these exes ala Street Fighter, racking up points and coins as he goes along. Sounds lame, but I tell you this movie is far from it. The camera work, the special effects, the comedy and action sequences, everything is beautifully done. The characters are well crafted enough but the story of good versus evil and how they battle each other is the real treat. Edgar Wright is quickly becoming one of my favourite directors (Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz). He has a keen sense of comedy and his camerawork is so refreshing. I absolutely loved this film, on the same plain as Kick-Ass, for it's no-holds-barred craziness and balls out good time.

GRADE: A+

Grown Ups
Starring: Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, David Spade, Kevin James, Rob Schneider, Salma Hayak, Maria Bello, Maya Rudolph, Colin Quinn, Steve Buscemi
Directed by Dennis Dugan

What is it about Adam Sandler that people love? I think he's a great dramatic actor (Punch Drunk Love, Reign Over Me), but I don't get the attraction of his comedies. I think he's immature, annoying and terribly un-funny. This movie has confirmed my thoughts of him. The movie is about 5 friends that meet up for a cottage weekend with their families after their school basketball coach has died. Hilarity ensues, or at least that's the idea. I can't say I didn't laugh once watching this film, 'cause I did, exactly once. Otherwise, if you think poopoo, peepee, boobs and bumbs are funny, then go ahead and watch this film. What the hell was Steve Bucemi and Maria Bello thinking??? Here are two great actors trying to ham it up, to what end?? I've lost all respect for both of them. And I don't think I've ever understood a word Salma Hayak has said!! Total waste of time, but the sad thing is, it'll make hundreds of millions of dollars because the general public loves this shit.

GRADE: F


....And now, the news.....

After 8 years of being a Store Manager with Blockbuster Video I have decided to leave. I will be starting my new job at the end of November with Purdy's Chocolates. They are a Canadian owned, family owned, 109 year old company that has begun expanding in the East. They are hugely popular in Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton and hope to be as popular in Toronto and the surrounding area. I will be managing the Fairview Mall location (one of my first retail jobs, when I was 16, was at Grand & Toy in Fairview...weird, eh?). I have been in the "movie" business for 15+ years and it was a hard decision, but one that I felt was right for me. I will miss my free movies and games, the people I worked with and for, and even most of the customers who loved to talk movies. I'm a little scared, but I'm very exited as well. I will still occassionally post my thoughts about movies on this blog, just not as often. Who knows, maybe I'll start reviewing chocolate! It's been a good run, but I must move on......

No comments:

Post a Comment