Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tuesday Movie Reviews


Youth In Revolt
Starring: Michael Cera, Portia Doubleday, Jean Smart, Zack Galifianakis, Steve Buscemi, Ray Liotta, Fred Willard, Justin Long, M. Emmet Walsh
Directed by Miguel Arteta

I have become bored of Michael Cera. His role as George Michael in the brilliantly funny TV show Arrested Development was refreshing, but he has been typecast because of it. Everything he has done since that show was cancelled has had elements of George Michael in it. The same can be said for Cera's portrayal of Nick Twisp, a troubled lad who just wants to fall in love and, foremost, get laid. The brilliance of his role comes when Twisp creates an alter ego by the name of Francois Dillinger. This naughty French boy is rude, crass, much more dangerous and hysterically funny. He was created through a number of circumstances too lengthy to get into here, but the short form is, Twisp needs to be bad to get the goods. Cera's foray into other territory is refreshing and comical...and good! I enjoyed this film because of the odd performances and the twisted lengths that Cera goes to in order to find true love. This is a movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, which makes the ride more enjoyable. There are also very cool animation cuts between a few scenes. And Fred Willard??? He's the best!!!

GRADE: B+

The Book Of Eli
Starring: Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, Mila Kunis, Jennifer Beals, Tom Waits, Michael Gambon
Directed by The Hughes Brothers

I really wanted to like The Book Of Eli. I loved the teasers I saw on TV and on trailers. I have to say I was slightly disappointed after watching the film. I'll talk about the things I did like, but I have to warn you now, the things I didn't particularly like may CONTAIN SPOILERS!!! Denzel Washington was great. He is one of a few actors out there that can play just about any role and I'll wholly believe it. He commands the screen in every scene. I also liked the way most of the movie was filmed. There were flashes of creativity I've seldom seen. One shot in particular went from outside to inside, through a window, turned, and went back outside, turned again, and went back towards the house. (You'll understand this when you see the scene). The look and feel of the film was presented very well...muted browns and yellows in a dry world with little water. The action scenes were well conceived, too. Now, what I didn't like. The story was very weak and predictable. (If you can't figure out what the Book in the title is, you should be shot). It was quite obvious what was going to happen minutes before it did, except for the twist. The twist in the story comes out of nowhere and is only there to make the viewer gasp. If you were to look back at everything you saw and heard throughout the film, the "twist" makes very little sense and has little importance in my opinion. There are too many actions that can't be explained if we are to believe what is revealed...and since this happens near the end of the movie, it takes away from all I liked previous. It will create interesting discussions, but I feel it was a cop out, a plot turn for plot turn's sake. Wow, I didn't spoil anything...I'm pretty proud of myself.

GRADE: C

No comments:

Post a Comment